Sunday, February 21, 2016

Felt Bird Pillows...and More


I made these bird pillows for my sister for this last Christmas. I like them alot. And most importantly, she likes them, too!


I make them using felt appliques and loads of freestyle sewing machine embroidery stitching on cotton canvas.


I've been making felt applique pillows for a while now as gifts for new brides, housewarmings and birthdays.
Once I decide on a design and the shapes I cut the pieces from brightly colored felt and sew them on the cotton canvas pillow tops.

 I've also made a few for my own living room, since I LOVE bright colors in my house.


These are the first pillows I've made with bird shapes and the design and execution were challenging but also fun!


This fat chickadee is made of white, cream, grey and black felt with loads of machine stitching in shades of yellow, gold, a little orange, white, grey, black and cream. His bright eye is a glossy black metal snap.

The leaves and tree branches are all sewn with black thread.


This handsome goldfinch is made of layered felt in yellow and black with machine stitching in yellow, gold and white. His eye is also a black metal snap. I've embroidered the leaves and branches with black thread.


I was so pleased with the bird designs that I tried out a brand new fox pillow. I LOVE the way he came out!

So with the bird pillows, fox pillow, wreath pillows and tree pillows I completed gifts for my parents, sisters and niece and I had fun doing them.

Now the fam insists I list some of these designs in my Etsy shop and you know what? I guess I will.

Have an idea for a design with felt? Try it out yourself or even message me. I'd love to see if I could make a new design in felt appliques!

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this thinking the whole time, "these need to be on etsy!" I especially love the multi-colored branches/leaves and the blue toned wreath :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...