Thursday, August 26, 2010

Anyone have a craft mall booth?


Have any of you fine people had a booth at a crafter's mall or marketplace? I have a couple of simple questions for you....was it a good move for you? And were you able to make enough money for it to be worth your while? That's my main concern.

I'm trying a booth out for 3 months and I'm having serious heebie jeebies about it after ONE FULL DAY. Yeah, it's like the song, "Hello mudder, hello fadder." I hope it turns out well but I'm wondering what you can tell me.

I know you ladies and even gents out there in blogland are a creative and energetic lot. I love your enthusiasm and ideas and heartfelt connections to home, family and creativity, whether in cooking, crafts, home decor, home skills or upscale recycling. You guys rock!

So, without getting into any personal/business details, how was the craft mall experience for you? Anything I should know? Any success stories would be appreciated, but also any horror stories since they are all part of the same mix.

Hoping to hear from many of you, soon.

4 comments:

  1. The "craft" end of thd business dried up around here about 8 years ago. Until the bust, I did very well in booths.
    Pluses- someone else is doing the selling while you don't have to sit there- you have all your time for crafting and home.
    Downers- no one is "pushing" for sales for you like you would in a show. You do not get feedback from the customers and you cannot negogiate special orders.

    This also depends on how much your rent is and if you have to pay a % or work the mall in exchange for rent.
    You have to decide if your sales will cover it OVER THE ENTIRE YEAR- not just month to month.
    Some months are dead months- just nothing you can do about that.

    STOCK, STOCK, STOCK THAT BOOTH BUT MAKE SURE PEOPLE CAN GET INTO IT!!!
    BE THERE AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK AND KEEP IT ROTATED!

    And my number one rule for booth space:
    Give God the best spot first.
    If you have anything about Him- angels, prayers, bible characters- whatever- put those items in the best place in that booth.
    I also sell well when I put God first.

    Hope that helps and hang in there!
    Tete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol at the Polka Dot Closet just wrote a post about her antique mall space. She had a lot of good info in the post. Go over and check her out.

    Good luck! La

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in my third month and I am barely covering my cost of the booth so to me it's not worth it. So I'm taking all my stuff out and try it another way. I did better at my barn sale than I did in the three months at the booth!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...